First Impressions |A Book Review|

7:33 AM

First Impressions by Debra White Smith


A small town lawyer in London Texas, Eddi joins a local theater production for Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice. She's thrilled when she get's the role as Lizzie...until she meets the arrogant cowboy playing Mr. Darcy.
Dave is trying to live under the radar as he lives with his elderly aunt in Texas, who just so happens to own the local theater. She convinces him to play the part of Mr. Darcy...and spending an entire summer with the woman who's driving him crazy.

I was super excited to get this novel from Bethany House to review and give my honest opinion on..I mean a Pride and Prejudice book people - a spin-off from one of the greatest classics in history. I was pumped...until I read the book. The writing overly explains every moment, giving us an (at times) stale story. From characters growling, barking, etc, I thought some of the writing was also exaggerated and telling us stuff we already assumed. 
The characters themselves are lovable - the guy taking off Mr. Collins hilarious and just as I imagined. I smiled the entire time reading his parts. It was just too perfect.
The spin-off of Mr. Bennett was also perfection and I imagined him perfectly!
However, again the overly-explained writing style left much to be desired, leaving me with a feeling that I was being told stuff I already knew. This was annoying and made me eager to move onto another novel.
I enjoyed seeing Pride and Prejudice spin-off - we need more of those. I love classics and seeing a book about a classic is awesome, but again, the writing wasn't that great and some the plot far-fetched.

You Might Also Like

6 of your thoughts

  1. Great review! I had very similar thoughts about this book. I wish I could've enjoyed it more, but the writing style wasn't my favorite. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know *sigh*. I had a feeling I wasn't the only one. Oh, well...

      Delete
  2. ugh too bad! The series itself looks intriguing though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you didn't care for this one, Kara. I read it years ago and thought it was fun, and of course, I had to pick it up as a reissue. Reading it now and I'm enjoying it, though I do understand why so many readers don't. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, yes. I wanted to like it so it was disappointing that I didn't. Oh well....
      Thanks for commenting! <3

      Delete


Comments make me smile, lift my spirits and give me the motivation to continue writing. In return I'll comment on your blog, because you're awesome and deserve it.